Located south of the State Police Barracks on Route 22. Tours of the buildings are conducted on Sunday afternoons from 1pm to 5pm from May through August. Special events are scheduled on occasion. A New Year's Eve celebration is observed by battery-powered candles each December 31st at 11:45pm in the unheated church.
Old Town Hall (67 Main Street, Brewster)
The building was erected in 1896 and served as the Town Hall until 1965 when the Supervisor and Town Clerk moved to One Main Street. Currently houses the Southeast Museum and Studio Around the Corner.
Owned by the Landmarks Preservation Society of Southeast, the Walter Brewster House was built around 1850 on the hill looking down on Main Street by the Village founder, Walter Brewster. The building has been carefully restored and hosts tours, concerts and special gatherings throughout the year.
Tilly Foster Mine
First mined in 1853 by Harvey Iron and Steel Company, the Tilly Foster Mine boomed under the auspices of the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Company of Scranton, PA, which acquired the mine in 1879. In 1890 the owners converted the mine to an open pit. At one time, it was the largest man-made hole in the world. For further information, go to the Southeast Museum Web site.
An example of 1950s roadside architecture and design, this site is an iconic representation of American roadside architecture of that era.
In addition to the above, the following historic sites are designated local landmarks:
The Town of Southeast also has two Historic Districts:
The Historic Districts contain many of the signficant older homes in Southeast. It is intended that the designation of these Historic Districts will emphasize their value and promote their preservation.
Other Buildings of Note:
The original First National Bank of Brewster, formerly Town Hall, now houses the Town Offices of the Building Department, Code Enforcement, Fire Inspector, Planning, Architectural Review Board and Zoning Board of Appeals Offices, and Special Districts Office, at One Main Street. Sitting across from the Brewster Train Station, the Town Office is a central element to Main Street, Brewster.
Town Hall: 1360 Route 22, Brewster, NY 10509
Phone: 845-279-4313 Fax: 845-278-2453
Hours of Operation Vary By Department